Buying from Andertons UK post Brexit

Bla Bla sur la musique et la guitare.

Modérateurs : foolk, Ichimaru

SouthpawGuy
Lefty acharné
Lefty acharné

Buying from Andertons UK post Brexit

Messagepar SouthpawGuy » Sam Nov 05, 2022 4:08 pm

I've never bought anything from Andertons UK. I have been tempted but since Brexit it's a big fat NO.

So this video was posted by Andertons a couple of days ago

However looking at comments from guys outside of the UK the reality is different.

It's basically like buying from the US. I've got loads of gear from the US over the years and it was always impossible to calculate how much the final cost of an item would be. It was, and is, a guessing game. Some guitars were completely free of any duty or payment ( they arrived at Christmas time so maybe they were busy and just let them through). Others were hammered with fees, way over the calculated rate, but you can't argue or they just send it back to the seller.

This comment posted is very good, the actual breakdown, and up to date. I though RG members might like to know.

Note this is not my comment on youtube

--------------------------------------

Kkorkykatt
2 days ago (edited)

The biggest 'self harm' we did to ourselves with regards to the EU market was brexit- as an expat, shopping back home makes NO sense at all anymore
I will give you guys a breakdown of the cost of making a purchase on this Excellent site & why i, like many others will miss out on shopping on Andertons (unless of course, you are made of money).
I was interested in buying the Squier Limited Edition Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster in Metallic Purple (Good job on this model Andertons), i would cost me 330 quid (that incs shipping).

Converted to Euro = 384 euros

Then the added costs would be:

24% vat (or whatever your EU country VAT is)
3.7% Guitar duty
plus in my case an added 50 euro for DHL costs to expedite (this differs depending on your EU country) , which is a rip off! They don't do anything different when dealing with EU goods & GB goods, except for a few clicks on their PC's mouse.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE 24% + 3.7% IS CHARGED ON THE TOTAL PRICE, IE INC THE SHIPPING COSTS, NOT SIMPLY THE ITEM.

So to cut a long story short we have to pay 27.7% (VAT + Guitar duty), plus 50 euros (in my case) and that comes to an extra 153 euro!

So the guitar would cost me door 2 door 484 euro, thats 416 quid!

That added amount, unfortunately then makes it not sensible for me to make such a purchase.

I have just broken down the calculations (call your local DHL for what they charge to expedite), to make things easier to work out.

I am NOT trolling, nor criticising Anderton's, they cannot be held responsible for the added costs that EU countries have decided to levy against UK/GB goods-the listed price was good.

Maybe our Govt, will see sense and at least work out some sort of free trade arrangement with the EU in the future, because up till now, all that is happening is that UK retailers have lost a huge amount of revenue from EU sales/customers.

Damn, i wanted that guitar so bad, but im not willing to pay 153 euro (131 GBP) extra for a squire.

Just my 2c worth- happy shopping people

----------------------------------

I have been tempted myself to get something from Andertons, but it looks like the whole import process is handled by a courier who can charge up to 50 euro for the service.

On the other hand speaking from personal experience gear4music seem to be the guys to deal with, at least in Ireland. Their service is good and the returns process is great.

I got an item this week ordered Wednesday, received Thursday. No import fees or added VAT, courier fees etc. The price online was the final price.

Turns out they now have a warehouse / distribution centre in Dublin, must be a very recent thing.

My wallet is DOOMED :mrgreen:

chacal
Lefty acharné
Lefty acharné

Re: Buying from Andertons UK post Brexit

Messagepar chacal » Dim Nov 06, 2022 2:50 pm

I am not buying any gear from out of EU anymore.

back in the days there was a threshold for fees, any item below 150€ value or so was free from taxes. not anymore it seems.
And yes shipping companies are charging ridiculous fees. My ex-wife bought some cosmetics in UK about 2 years ago, and for 40 euros of good they charged VAT which is fair according to the situation, but they added 15€ of "administrative fees", just like you said a few more clicks...

SouthpawGuy
Lefty acharné
Lefty acharné

Messagepar SouthpawGuy » Dim Nov 06, 2022 4:03 pm

chacal a écrit :I am not buying any gear from out of EU anymore.

back in the days there was a threshold for fees, any item below 150€ value or so was free from taxes. not anymore it seems.
And yes shipping companies are charging ridiculous fees. My ex-wife bought some cosmetics in UK about 2 years ago, and for 40 euros of good they charged VAT which is fair according to the situation, but they added 15€ of "administrative fees", just like you said a few more clicks...

Since July 2021 every euro is charged VAT, there is no VAT free limit now EU wide.

I've bought gear from gear4music since Brexit, from their York UK branch, much faster than from Thomann, and the UK is no longer in the EU, so why it's faster I have no clue.

chacal
Lefty acharné
Lefty acharné

Messagepar chacal » Dim Nov 06, 2022 4:46 pm

SouthpawGuy a écrit :I've bought gear from gear4music since Brexit, from their York UK branch, much faster than from Thomann, and the UK is no longer in the EU, so why it's faster I have no clue.

It is probably about hubs and dispatching points. I assume parcels going from some countries in EU to Ireland are gathered in let's say Paris in example, and then fly to Ireland. From UK to Ireland is probably a straight cargo flight

It is the same as Spain probably getting goods faster from north Africa than from Belgium :)

Triback
Ultra Silver Lefty
Ultra Silver Lefty

Messagepar Triback » Lun Nov 07, 2022 10:27 pm

Man i always had a great respect for Lee Anderton.
His channel has been great forever.
Spent hours watching it.

I was deep into this purple cv tele just like you. And was shocked to came to the same conclusion.

If they do open a shop in Dublin, will definitely check out if i can grab one of these beauties.

Retourner vers « Bla Bla ^o^ !!! »